Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The continuing saga...fences

Well....obviously the fencing that I had tried to rig didn't work. Once again the cows were out. Now it isn't all of the cows, just a few extra curious troublemakers. They are named the "skunk brothers" (white stripes down their backs, and they are brothers) and "steak" our bull that shouldn't have been a bull. After walking the fence line again about 3 times and calling my father to ask what I could be missing we finally found the problem, well Dad did. It was a broken insulator 2 posts down from the pasture. At least now we will have electric and the cows will stay in.....

NOT! We stopped by on our way to take the kids to see Star Trek (excellent movie by the way). And once again the cows were out of the pasture and making their way to the driveway. So we got them back in and decided to make a new barbed wire fence over the creek really quick. Did I say quick, yes we were delusional.

So there we are, Eric and I dressed for a date with the kids (who were waiting not so patiently in the van) and we are up to our knees in the creek fighting with barbed wire. Finally we get 3 more strands up, hoping that they are tight enough to keep the ever elusive wanderers in the pasture.

Sunday comes and we check and they are still in the pasture, finally it worked. Or so I thought.

Monday morning comes and I am once again feeling aweful with a cold that was once more passed along from my children. But I have to check on the cows and get the drawings to the excavator so he can dig the footers for the house. And what do I find when I get there bright and early at 7:30am? Cows in the driveway.

Arghhh. All right, that is it, this is war. I decided I am putting up electric across the creek, that had better keep them in. So I spend about 2 hours with my mothers help putting 3 strands of wire across the creek so that it is at the right level to stop them and still not go under the water when it rains and the creek rises. This can be a very difficult feat considering the creek banks are very deep and there is almost nothing to attach the insulators to. Finally we got it done. I was exhausted, but guess what, no more cows in the driveway, now they go the other direction (at least they are still in a pasture).

No comments: