Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cows on the loose

I was on my way over to the farm today when I get a call from Eric:

"Carolyn called and the cows are on the street".

I hate when I get these calls, I always get panicked first. So as I drive over in the fog expecting to see the cows in the driveway like the the last few times I heard that. I found nothing...no cows at all.

Now I am worried, where would they have gone...up the mountain...out the road?

I drive back to the house and look around...and get grain. But there is no grain, they already had been here and ate it all. Now it will be even harder to get them home (if I find them), because they aren't hungry.

We finally find them behind the neighbors house at the end of the road. We gather them all up and try to get them to walk down the road. They really didn't want to co-operate. Some tried to go up the mountain, some tried to go through the neighbor's yard. We finally got them to our property and tried to turn them down the drive, they had other plans.

A few tried to continue down the road, the small ones wanted to go back to the pasture, but through the swamp. Finally I got the biggest 3 to go down the drive and we got them in and then went back to help Mom with the rest.

Finally after 3 hours we had them all in and the fences were fixed. Needless to say we got a new fence charger.

No comments: