Monday, July 20, 2009

Tools and such...

You got it, it is an outhouse. After having a few homeschool co-op days at the farm early in April before we started building, I realized that we needed some type of facilities. I knew we would be spending many hours working, and it is nice to have a place where you don't have to worry about getting poison (or slipping on wet leaves).My plan was for a seat big enough for a bucket to fit under it and some sheets strung between the trees. This is Dad's design (he always takes my ideas and makes them so much better, and I am so thankful for that).

I found the information for a "humanure" online when I was looking for composting toilet plans. It didn't look like something I would want to do inside a finished house, but it seemed just right for what we needed while we are building. The trick is you need to completely cover your "deposit" with sawdust (hence the rubbermaid tub of sawdust sitting right outside). It works really well, it didn't even smell until I emptied the bucket and realized I had no way to rinse it.

This is "Mo", Mo Hammer. While we are working we end up naming some of the tools, especially the ones we use alot, or for specific jobs. Mo has been used to pound joists and floor sheeting into place and to get the walls in place. It has also been used to pound in the 'step-in' posts of our electric netting for the sheep. The ground is so hard now that it hasn't been raining that it is impossible to 'step' them in, I need to use Mo.

This is "Big Boy". Not really sure where the name came from, but one day Dad said "go get the 'big boy', and that has been its name since. This pipe clamp really comes in handy to untwist all of our twisted wood. Words cannot describe how bad some of them have been, I am just grateful we have 'big boy' to help us get the job done right.

No comments: