Saturday, July 4, 2009

Weekend six

Here is it Friday again already. And you are wondering what Eric is doing helping us on a Friday. Well he actually got a day off since July 4th is on a Saturday.

We started the day by building walls. We all worked really well together and got the first big wall up fairly quickly. This is the front wall and it has a big window frame, a door frame and a smaller window frame. If you have never built a window or door frame then you haven't lived yet. Ok, maybe that is a bit much.


After building most of these frame for this house I can honestly say....I never want to do another one for the rest of my life! You guessed it, it was awful. It involves two very heavy pieces of 2x12 lumber. They must be nailed to 2 studs and be flush on all sides. Every time I got close to the nail, something slipped (I am going to blame this on the fact that I don't have big enough hands). There is much more to the building of these monsters, but I wont bore you with the details. Long story short, this is by far my least favorite part so far.
Luckily our helpers were here again to help us lift up that really heavy wall.

After standing the wall up we had to hold it there while Dad got it to the right spot to nail it in. Then we needed to continue holding so he could get the wall level and brace it.
Here you can see the window frame.
The front of the house.

We actually got the next wall finished but decided not to take the time to stand it up, so it was laying on the floor ready for Saturday.
Admiring a days work.

No comments: