Sunday, June 14, 2009

Weekend three

We spent all week cleaning the shed so we could have it moved on Thursday. Three loads to the dump took all Thursday morning. The barn mover called at 11am to tell me he was between 1 and 2 hours away (and we hadn't moved anything out so far). We finally finished getting everything out and the ramp off when he arrived. It was at precisely that time that the sky opened and poured for about 10 minutes.

After the rain stopped he got the shed on his trailer no problem. We drove over to the farm and got it to the area that we wanted it. That is when I began to worry. With the recent rain (and our soft ground) he was having a hard time getting the trailer to the right spot without it slipping. Finally he got it there and now we have a building at the farm.

We decided to start early on Friday (since it is cooler). But with all the rain we got on Thursday night we weren't sure we would be able to get anything done. So we decided to check it out before we packed up all the tools and stuff. This is what we found.....a moat.

We decided to work anyway (in muck boots), so we got it all together and were working at 9am. FYI, I can't wear muck boots with capris because I get a a blister on my shin where the boot rubs. So I had to wear jeans. I HATE wearing jeans on hot weather, I am miserable....and I was, all day.

We got a good amount of work done and then the generator died. We only had it for 2 weeks and it was dead. So I packed it up and drove all over Athens to find a repair shop, and one after another said "I won't touch a COLEMAN, they went bankrupt and I can't get parts". So I had to buy a new generator.

Saturday we started early and got to work right away. We worked on floor joists all day. Eric and Madison brought the lumber over to the saw and Mom assisted while I sawed them to the correct length. While we did this Dad was putting them in place and attaching them. After we had alot cut, Eric went to help Dad put them in place. We got almost 2/3 of the joists in.

We got lucky that we had a partly cloudy day, it made it so much easier since we had periods when the sun wasn't baking us (but we still drank all 3 gallons of water that we brought, and almost all of the gatorade)

When Madison wasn't working (or bringing us water) she was playing with Tanner. He was having such a great time 'working'. He piled all of the pieces of wood in the wagon and pulled them over to the trash pile (he did this twice). When he wasn't doing this he was moving dirt. He is such a good little boy and he does a great job of staying out of the dangerous stuff and listening when we tell him something.


No comments: