Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Three Little Piggies...

Well, Saturday started out frustrating. It was just one of those days where nothing seems to go right and you just want to climb back in bed and hide under the covers. Well, maybe it was just that way for me. Eric and I went to the farm to finish fencing the pig enclosure and I had forgotten to bring a few things that we still needed, but we got it done enough to get the pigs, at least.

Here are the pigs after Eric got them in the trailer. They had just gotten out of their wallow so they were very muddy. I wish I had some pictures or video of him putting them in the trailer (he did a very good job for someone who never touched a pig before).

Their names are (from left to right), Pork Chop, Babe, and Wilbur. They are all girls, but we had to name her Wilbur because she looked just like him and she gave me a look like she knows exactly what is going on. She is also the most curious of all of them, always keeping her eye on what is going on.

This is mama pig and the piglets that were left after we took ours. These pigs are Red Waddles. They are a very rare heritage breed and their meat wins lots of gourmet awards. There are very few people in the country that breed these kind, so we were very lucky to already know someone who had some. As you can see they don't get really fat, but they are tall.

Here is the boar on the right and the pig John will slaughter for his family this year. That is about the size when we will slaughter ours. Anything bigger than that just gives more bacon, and even though I love bacon, I don't want to have more than necessary.

This is where Eric dropped the pigs over the fence, they didn't even move, they just stuck their nose in the ground and started rooting....

....and rooting...
...and rooting.

They stopped rooting to play for a bit.

Then they went exploring.

Madison couldn't wait to touch them.

On Sunday I cleaned out the frig so we could 'slop the pigs'. I had a big dishpan full.

They ate that so fast. But we realized there were certain things that they like better than others. They ate all of the leftovers first, then the lettuce, then the old eggs. The onion bottoms just got ground into the dirt I think (but they did like the tops of the onions).

Tanner had to have a closer look.


More exploring on the other side.

Finally their bellies were full and they decided to settle down for a rest under the tree.

On Tuesday I went back to give them more water. And what did I find? ...Clean piggies, they had bathed in their drinking water.

No comments: